Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Taj Mahal

Just a few years ago I found out my great grandparents (my mothers grandparents) had gone to the Taj Mahal in India. They were world travelers but I didn't know they were adventurous enough to go to India on a boat! It was amazing to me and I figured that if they could go I could to and so my family and I finally made it to the Taj Mahal. The first picture is of my greatgrandparents and is a picture of a picture so the quality is not the best. The rest of the pictures are of us at the Taj. Samuel is in some and he is hardly noticable because he is so small. Hope you enjoy our pictures.

Just a little Taj Mahal history. Some of the tour guides make things up so if I write something not accurate that is why. The Taj Mahal was built by a king that lost his wife and he loved her deeply. This was a huge tomb for her and he when he died. He had a couple other wives but they had no children for him and she had like 12 although many of them died. So she was the one he really loved and built the Taj Mahal for. Some legends say that the people that built the Taj Mahal had their hands chopped off after it was completed so that there could never be another one built again. Some crazy stuff but this is the best building we have seen in India. Most things are not well taken care of or well built.
























4 comments:

The Texas Garretts said...

How wonderful! I'm thrilled that you were able to go. What a blessing to have the picture of your great grandparents!

SouthAsiaRocks said...

how fun!!! ON A BOAT??????? WOW! how long did that take?? Crazy!! That is cool!

Shannon said...

I've always thought that photo of your great grandparents was really cool! So, when were you guys at the Taj? Looks like Sammy had a blast!

Shank Family Adventure said...

Great blog Laurie! That is so amazing about your great grandparents! Thanks for putting the video of Sammy and Hannah on the blog...my mom will love to see it! Give the little one a hug from Hannah!